Monday 8 April 2013

Blueberry Mocha

So this occurred to me this morning when I saw a wonderful box of blueberries in the fridge in the midsts of getting milk for my morning latté. Maybe morning brain isn’t a legit thing, but maybe it is, because my morning brain said: let’s mix coffee with chocolate milk and blueberries. The next question was: how do I get the blueberry flavor into it and...how do I not make this disgusting? Aha! Blueberry syrup! Chocolate! If Starbucks can pull off and sell a dark cherry coffee seasonal thingidy, then I can pull of milk chocolate and blueberry, right? Okay if you’ve already decided this is a terrible idea, HEAR ME OUT! It was actually surprisingly delicious so if you’re feeling daring and looking to spice up your morning, look no further! You can make the blueberry part as subtle or strong as you like :)
The most complicated part was certainly making blueberry syrup, but even then, it’s so simple! And of course, I just used my handy dandy Nespresso Coffee Machine (what am I going to do in a dorm without it next year?) for the coffee. Check out the video for the specifics, and if you dare to make it, let me know what you think!




A quick briefing of ingredients and directions for each portion:
Blueberry syrup (I got help here) - 2 cups of blueberries, 1/3 cup of water, mush them together in a medium pan. Bring mix to boiling over medium heat, then allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes and stir occasionally. Strain the berry liquid into a heat-proof bowl and get as much juice out of the berries as possible to go through the strainer. Pour back into the pan (without blueberry solids) and toss in about 1/4 of an orange skin (see video; well, you should just watch it anyway, it’s fabulous) and 1/3 cup of sugar, bring back to boil and then simmer for 10 minutes while it thickens. Add two tablespoons of fresh orange juice and stir to combine, boil for another minute or two, then turn off the heat and let everything cool! Don’t get too excited and taste it too soon, this stuff is HAWT.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?